Monday, October 21st, 2013
Today is Day 2 of the Crossroads Blog Tour of 2013! For my stop — along with lovely authors Judith Graves and Nicola Marsh — go to Confessions of a Bookaholic. Be sure to enter for a chance to win a Kindle preloaded with titles from all 23 participating authors! And be sure to read all the guest posts from all 23 authors visiting all 7 participating bloggers so you can hunt for clues to answer the research questions here for bonus prizes!
To read the fun guest posts and interview answers, check out the following blogs:
A Simple Love of Reading
Confessions of a Bookaholic
Little Library Muse
A Life Bound by Books
Friday, June 21st, 2013
Last night, I got to tell Neil Gaiman, in person, how he is my biggest influence as an author, and that I write because of him.
Neil Gaiman in Saratoga Springs on June 20, 2013, on his last US signing tour.
That’s me, shaking his hand, bawling as I thanked him. Next to him is the fabulous Cat Mihos, with whom I’ve been emailing on and off for, oh, years. She’s outstanding, and I’m so glad she was there. I would have said something coherent to her, except I gave Neil a copy of BREATH, and then he hugged me, and I cried even more. Good cry, not bad cry!
Getting to talk to Neil last night was a shining moment for me. Loving Husband and two of my dear friends were right there, after we waited on line for hours — it was about 11 pm when it was our turn — and I’m so thrilled they were there to share the moment.
Thank you, Neil, for doing this last US signing tour, for picking Saratoga Springs as one of the 16 cities for your tour, and for signing books for hours and hours and hours. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can’t wait to read THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE.
Monday, April 15th, 2013
The BREATH Blog Tour is here! Stopping at:
4/15 Books Make Me Happy – guest post on music and the book
4/16 The StoryMen – video interview (had a TON of fun) and a Deadline Dames giveaway
4/17 Chapter by Chapter – review and Top Three Favorites
4/18 A Backwards Story – interview
4/19 Book Smugglers – guest post on influences for the book
There’s a blog tour giveaway of a set of all four books, plus cover posters – so be sure to comment for a chance to win! (And, you know, maybe also read the guest posts and stuff.) I’ll add the links as the posts go live. 🙂
BREATH officially hits the shelves tomorrow!!! **throws confetti**
Friday, April 5th, 2013
April already? Yow.
Okay, BREATH winners, I know you’ve heard this song before — but the books/posters are **finally** going out today, really really. Sorry for the delay. Hope it was worth the wait.
The event on Wednesday was terrific — thank you to everyone who attended! I’m waiting for the final count, but it looks like we raised almost $300 for the Shen/Shaker sports scholarship in memory of Chris Stewart and Deanna Rivers. Thank you again, everyone!
I’ll be doing a reading/signing/talk at Flights of Fantasy on Tuesday, April 16, starting at 7 pm. And since this is the date that BREATH officially launches, you better believe there will be copies there for purchase. 🙂
Also on Tuesday April 16, I will be speaking at Albany High School. My books will be there for purchase, too, so yowza!
And the week of April 15 through April 19, I will be doing a BREATH blog tour. There may be a giveaway involved. Details to follow!
Skipping ahead to May, I’ll be at the RT Booklovers Convention in Kansas City, from Wednesday May 1 until Sunday, May 5. I’ll be on a panel or two, and will do a speed reading, and will be at the ginormous book fare that Saturday. Hope to see you there!
Finally, I’ll be off the interwebz until April 13 — because the revision of TO BEAR AN IRON KEY is due Friday, April 12. 🙂
That’s all, folks!
Saturday, March 30th, 2013
Okay, so I didn’t exactly mail stuff last week. Sorry. I get easily distracted.
But everything will go out on Monday.
Unless I get distracted. But I won’t. Because I will stay focused. Really.
…oh, look: Bunnies!!!
Wednesday, March 20th, 2013
And without further ado, here are the five winners!
Janine: I think I would have to go with the biggie, death!
Poppy A.: I would be War for sure!
Caroline: I think I’d be pestilence. I definitely enjoy conquering things.
Stina: I wouldn’t really enjoy any of the jobs, but I think I’d be Famine.
Tiffany: I would absolutely be Death, it would be so cool! And whoever has read the Alex Craft books by Kalayna Price would also agree that being Death is damn sexy!!!
Congratulations to all the winners! TO GET YOUR COPY, you must email me via the contact form here on my website with your postal address. (Name too, please!) Please email me by this Friday, March 22, 2013, by 6 pm Eastern — if I don’t hear from you by that time, you’ll be disqualified. And no one wants that!
Consolation giveaways to everyone who entered: If you’d like a poster — either one of the four book covers, or a cover compilation poster — email me via the contact form here on my website with your postal addy. 🙂
Many thanks to everyone who entered! I hope you enjoy BREATH. (And if you do, I hope you’ll let everyone know!)
THERE WILL BE ANOTHER GIVEAWAY BEFORE APRIL 16, SO STAY TUNED!!! 🙂
Monday, March 18th, 2013
Author copies of BREATH are here!!! **throws confetti***
The thing is, I’ve already read the book! So I’m thinking it’s time to give some of these away!!!
Specifically, I will give away 5 copies of BREATH. (That is, 1 copy to 5 different folks. Because who really wants 5 copies of the same book?)
And I’ll even throw in some Riders of the Apocalypse cover posters! 🙂
The giveaway is open to…oh, everyone. Around the world. Because I love shipping things around the world! (I can pretend I’m well-traveled that way.)
But…because you shouldn’t get something for nothing…I request that anyone who gets a free copy of BREATH please post an honest review of the book. Ideally, you’ll love it and think it’s the best thing you’ve ever read. But even if the book doesn’t work for you, I’ll still respect you. 🙂 Please post an honest review. (Ideally, before April 16, 2013, when BREATH officially hits the shelves.)
All you have to do to enter is comment below and tell me which Rider of the Apocalypse you’d like to be. (If you don’t pick a Rider — Famine, War, Pestilence/The Conqueror, Death — or a Rider’s color — Black, Red, White, Pale — you won’t be entered. So please do pick a Rider!)
The giveaway is open from RIGHT NOW until noon (Eastern) Wednesday, March 20, 2013 — springtime, rah! On Wednesday afternoon, I will randomly pick 5 winners (via a random number generator). The winners will be announced by 6 pm Wednesday evening, on my blog, and they will have 48 hours to contact me with their mailing info. (If by 6 pm Friday I haven’t heard from a winner, that person, sadly, will be disqualified and I’ll pick a random runner-up.)
Friday, February 1st, 2013
Yeah, it’s been forever since I’ve blogged. I’m finding Twitter and Facebook to be so much more convenient, you know?
So, brief writing updates:
1. A short HELL story, “A Chance In Hell,” will be in the anthology CARNIEPUNK, coming this August! (This is via my alter ego, Jackie Kessler. Shhh.) This one’s a lot of fun. The story stands alone, and it’s a bridge between the HELL ON EARTH series (and if you haven’t read the last book, HELL TO PAY, it’s now available as an e-book for 99 cents — worldwide! Rah!) and the new series, PIT & PARADISE, which I really, really, really will write. My goal for 2013 is to write the first book, BEFORE THE FALL, and since I’m planning on e-pubbing it, it should be available this year as well. It’s on my to-do list, really! CARNIEPUNK is awesome for many other reasons – namely, Rachel Caine, Kevin Hearne, Rob Thurman, Jennifer Estep and so many other authors, many of whom are from the League of Reluctant Adults! I’m sure this anthology will have something for everyone — as long as you’re into warped carnies. 🙂
2. A short story, “Thirst,” will be in the anthology VERY SUPERSTITIOUS: MYTHS, LEGENDS AND TALES OF SUPERSTITION, coming this October! (Sorry, no cover image yet, and not yet available for pre-order.) This is a story set in the Riders of the Apocalypse universe, and it’s a Famine story. While I won’t tell you which myth/legend/tale I am revisiting in the story, I will say that I mention it in one of the Riders books. 🙂 This is a charity anthology for SPCA International, and the book will include stories from a number of awesome authors, including Shannon Delany and Mari Mancusi! I’ll be signing copies at BEA this year, so I hope to see you there!
3. My YA novel BREATH will hit the shelves on April 16, 2013! Yes, I know, some places are still saying June 2013. Don’t believe the hype. Mid-April, the book will be available. This one’s the biggie: It’s the fourth, and final, book in the Riders of the Apocalypse series, and it’s Death’s story. It’s also the story of Xander Atwood, a boy with a secret. The book answers…well, all the big questions in the series. All of the Riders are in it. I really love this short description at the Book Depository:
In the fourth and final volume of the Riders of Apocalypse series, high school senior Xander Atwood has a secret. Death, the Pale Rider, has lost his way. What happens when the two meet will change the fate of the world.
There’s a longer description, too, which is available via Amazon, B&N, Book Depository, Indie Bound…you know, everyone. 🙂
Also, I’m working on making posters for this book, as well as a composite poster of all four covers. I will have them available for RT — where I will be signing copies of BREATH! While I’m not looking forward to flying — apparently, my knee is uber sensitive to changes in pressure, ugh — I can hardly wait to be at RT and see so many friends. Hope you’ll be there!
4. I have an announcement. But I can’t announce it just yet!!! I know, obnoxious, right? 🙂 Stay tuned.
Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012
Today I visit Confessions of a Bookaholic for day 3 of the Crossroads Blog Tour of 2012! You can find out a little about BREATH, and learn five things about me that you may not have known. 🙂
Meanwhile, I’m still reading Daniel Marks’ Velveteen, and I’m enjoying it hugely. I’ve never seen the afterword like this!
I’m also working on converting one manuscript from third person to first person. It’s a labor of love.
Don’t forget that comments are still open on the Authors Against Bullying post, for a chance to win signed books from me and A.S. King, who’s one of my favorite authors, and on the Velveteen giveaway post. Even if you already commented, please make sure it’s there – I had massive spam issues, but thanks to my awesome web guru, I have a new spam-b-gone in place. (As much as I like playing whack-a-mole, it gets tiring when there are more than 41,000 moles.)
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012
**testing, testing…is this thing on?**
So yeah, it’s been months since my last blog post. Sorry about that! I’ve been busy, busy, busy. Doing what, you ask? Well…
1. I’ve been doing more taekwondo. I recently tested for my advanced brown belt. Here’s the most awesome jump-off-a-chair breakthat I did: Most Awesome Break
2. I’ve been Walking to Mordor. No, seriously. Check out this blog post at NerdFitness — and then come on out and walk to Mordor! I’m more than 60 miles there. (Okay, at this rate, it will take…um…a long time for me to get there. BUT GET THERE I WILL.)
3. I’ve been dealing with an ancient cat. Officekitty is 19. That’s insanely old for a cat. She’s also senile, has arthritis in her hips, and is either stone-cold deaf or has mastered the art of selective hearing. I love my cat, but I’m not getting a lot of sleep, because she gets me up starting as early as 4:45 am.
4. I’ve been writing side projects. A whole bunch of them, actually. No details at this moment, but stay tuned. (I read one of the projects to the Precious Little Tax Deductions. That went very well. Tax Deduction the Younger just yesterday reminded me that I have to start writing the sequel.)
5. I wrote BREATH. That’s right — the fourth and final book in the Riders of the Apocalypse series is written, edited and copyedited — and there’s even a cover and back-cover copy!
BREATH by Jackie Morse Kessler
And here’s the back-cover copy:
Contrary to popular belief, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse aren’t just harbingers of doom—they actually keep life in balance. But what happens when their leader and creator, Death, becomes suicidal?
Before the first living thing drew its first gasping breath, he was there. He has watched humanity for millennia. And he has finally decided that humanity is not worth the price he has paid time and again. When Death himself gives up on life, a teenager named Xander Atwood is the world’s only hope. But Xander bears a secret, one that may bring about the end of everything.
This heart-pounding final installment of the Riders of the Apocalypse series looks at the value of life, the strength of love, and how a small voice can change everything . . . forever.
As with RAGE, a portion of BREATH’s proceeds will be donating to the terrific organization To Write Love On Her Arms.
The book is scheduled to hit the shelves in spring 2013 — it may be April, it may be June. It may even be May! Anticipation…
You can preorder BREATH at Amazon. As other places have BREATH available for preorder, I’ll update this post. 🙂
Oh hey – if you’re near West Chester, PA, I’ll be at PAYA on Saturday, August 25. Hope to see you there!